Swan Turton offers expert legal advice to a wide range of clients in the photographic industry and the broader visual arts sector as a whole.
Swan Turton is one of the leading UK law firms advising the photographic industry. Clients include the Association of Photographers, whose legal advice service Charles Swan and his team provide, along with leading picture libraries, individual photographers and their agents. The firm is a member of the PLUS Coalition Leadership Circle. The firm also advises publishers on the complex legal issues surrounding the use of photographs in printed and electronic media.
Our Visual Arts unit is headed by Nicholas Sharp and offers legal advice and support to arts organisations, galleries, studio groups, trade associations, art businesses and individual artists.
The areas we advise on include: copyright and other intellectual property issues, moral rights including Artist´s Resale Right, artist/gallery contracts, commission and residency contracts, funding agreements, data protection and advice on company formation and legal status.
We also provide litigation support to galleries, artists, photographers and image libraries including debt recovery, loss or damage to artwork, ownership or title disputes, intellectual property and licence disputes.
Key contact: Charles Swan
- Triple damages for flagrant infringement: Original Beauty v G4K Fashion
- IPEC small claims costs warning: Pablo Star Media Ltd v Richard Bowen
- The repeal of Section 52: artistic works and incidental inclusion
- Who gets copyright in other countries, photographer or client? (Update)
- Not another monkey selfie case: Amazing Animals v Captive Animals Protection Society